In summer we can hardly save ourselves from delicious cherries. But where do you put it? We keep it there like our grandparents: In addition to cakes and jams, you can also make wonderful cherry liqueurs yourself from summer fruit.
Which cherries do I use for cherry liqueur?
Morello cherries are particularly suitable for cherry liqueurs. They belong to the sour cherries and have a dark red, very juicy flesh. Although the sugar content is quite high, they taste mainly sour – and are therefore exactly the right ingredient for homemade liqueurs.
Cherry liqueur – ingredients for 1 bottle (approx. 1 ½ l capacity)
- 500 g sour cherries (e.g. morello cherries )
- 100 g fine, white rock sugar
- 500 ml vodka (38% vol.)
- Extra tip: The opening of the bottle or mason jar needs to be big enough for the cherries to fit through without being crushed. It is best to use a twist-off lid or clamps so that the vessel closes properly.
Cherry liqueur – this is how it works step by step:
- Wash and drain the sour cherries. Remove the stems and core the cherries.
- Put the cherries in a clean, hot-rinsed bottle or a mason jar. Add rock sugar and top up with vodka so that the cherries are covered. Close well.
- Now it’s time to wait. The liquid must stand in a cool and dark place for at least 1 month (up to 8 weeks). Shake the cherry liqueur mixture several times in between.
- After 4 to 8 weeks, remove the cherries and pour the finished cherry liqueur into another, clean bottle (e.g. a flip-top bottle ).
- Our tip for giving away: The cherry liqueur is a nice souvenir for a family celebration or a party with friends. With a personal gift tag, it is also nicely packaged.
How long does cherry liqueur keep?
The shelf life of a liqueur depends, among other things, on its sugar and alcohol content – if the alcohol content is above 30%, for example, it can be assumed that the liqueur will last for several years. Cherry liqueur that has already been opened will also last for several months, but since it loses its taste over time, it is advisable to use it within about 2 months.
To prevent the cherries in the liqueur from going moldy, the bottles should be thoroughly cleaned and rinsed with boiling water. This sterilization extends the shelf life.
How do you properly store cherry liqueur?
During the steeping time and after decanting, the cellar is a good place to store cherry liqueur. When the bottle is open, it can also be stored in the refrigerator. The main thing is: store in a cool, dark, and dry place, and ideally in an upright position.
What can I do with the cherries after they have been removed from the liquor?
The remote cherries you can either serve with the liqueur, a summer punch pumpkin so, or in cakes, crumble exploit and co. As a fruity topping, they also refine your favorite ice cream sundae or fresh waffles.
What can I do with cherry liqueur?
Cherry liqueur is more than just drinking fun! You can use it in many ways in the kitchen, for example, to mix cocktails or to refine desserts and cakes. You can find the best recipe ideas with cherry liqueur here:
- Cupcake cream with dried cherries and cherry liqueur: Not dusty! In the cupcake frosting, the classic cherry liqueur shows its ultra-trendy side.
- Pink Flamingo: Shake it, baby! As a fruity cocktail addition, cherry liqueur will delight you and your friends. You can also serve the mixed drink as an aperitif before meals.
- Kirschsacher cake: popular not only in Vienna! The traditional chocolate cake is particularly juicy thanks to the aromatic cherry liqueur in the batter. A few drops are enough to make those with a sweet tooth happy.